From the files of Legacy Keeper Donna Thompson.
RICHARD BENNETT IV
BORN: ca. 1709, in Bute County, NC.
MARRIED: Mary “Polly” Beatty ?????? (I had Ann __________/Sarah Bell Lewis(?))
DIED: Probably around 1768-69, since his son James Bennett was made a ward of Solomon Langston on 15 February 1769. (1744 in Surrey Co., VA??????)
PARENTS: Richard Bennett IV’s father was Richard Bennett III. The family probably emigrated from Virginia, since there was a Richard Bennett, Sr., and a Richard Bennett, Jr., living in Virginia in the early 1700’s.
CHILDREN: Richard Bennett made a will that was proved in 1764. It is recorded in Bute County, NC. Names of children are Christian Bennett (Married Absalom Langston, brother of Solomon Langston); Sarah Bennett (our ancestor who married Solomon Langston); Richard Bennett; Mark Bennett; William Bennett; Martha Bennett; Moses Bennett; James Bennett; Ann Bennett; and Amey Bennett.
Will of Richard Bennett
Bute County North Carolina, 1764
Warren County, North Carolina Records VI p. 1 WB 1, page 3
Dated 3 August 1764
Recorded August Court 1764
In the name of God amen.
I RICHARD BENNITT of the County of Bute and Colony of North Carolina –
Being through the abundant mercy of God tho Weak in Body yet of a sound an perfect understanding and Memory and knowing the Uncertainty of this Life and that all men Must Die and Return to their Mother Earth Do Constitute this my last will and Testament and Desire it may be taken as Such by al Imprimis I most Humbly Bequeath my Soul to God my Maker Beseeching his most gracious Acceptance of it through the all Sufficient merits and meditation of my most Compassionate Redeemer Jesus Christ in this hope and Confidence I Render my Soul with Comfort & Imprimus and as for my Body I give to the Earth from whence it was taken in full assurance of its Resurrection from thence at the Last Day and as for my Burial I Desire that It may be ordered in a Decent manner as the Direction of my Executors Here after named and as to my worldly goods which it hath been please God to bestow on fare above my deserving I will and positively order that all my Debts that in Right and Conscience I owe to any man be paid in Convenient Time after my Decease by my Executors Hereafter named #3
- Item I give and bequeath to my Daughter Christian Langston The wife of Absalom Langston one Bed and furniture
- Item I give and bequeath to my son Richard Bonit [Bennett] foure head of cattle and foure head of Sheep and my Shue maker tools and one sithe
- Item I give and bequeath to my Son Mark Bennit five shillings Sterling money
- Item I give and Bequeath to my Son William Bonit one Negro Boy Named Robin
- Item I give and bequeath to my Son Moses Bennitt one Bed and Furniture and three head of cattle and my Riding Mare
- Item I give and bequeath to my Daughter Martha Bennitt one Natural Paceing Mare Colt one Cow and Calf two Dishes
- Item I give and Bequeath to my Son James Bonnit one Negro girl named Jean and Her increase
- Item I give and Bequeath to my Daughter Ann Bonnit one Cow and Calf
- Item I give and Bequeathe to my Daughter Amey Bennit one Cow and Calf
- Item I give and Bequeath to my Loveing wife Ann Bonnit the use of my Whole Estate Dureing Life or Widdow Hood
My Desire is and will is that all the Remainder of my Estate that I have not all Ready given What so Ever or Where So Ever after the Limited time to be Equally Divided Between my three Daughters to wit Martha Ann and Amey Further more my will and Desire is that my three Sons to witt Richard Mark and William Shall Divide the Same
- Item I do hereby ordain Constitute and appoint my Loveing wife Ann Bennitt Mark Bennitt and William Bennitt my whole and Sole Executors of this my Last will and Testament utterly Disannulling all former Wills here to fore by me made.
In witness whereof I have here unto Set my hand and affixed My Seal this third Day of August in the Year of our Lord one thousand Seven Hundred Sixty and foure.
Signed Seald and Delivered in the Presence of us
James Thompson, Susannah Malone, Drucilla Thompson